Information technology is transforming the health care system. From data driven medical research to software designed to improve doctor-patient communications, we are just starting to realize the benefits of the digital infrastructure deployed within the US health care system over the past two decades.
At the same time, health care is a complex and heavily regulated industry presenting many challenges to those seeking to lead this transformation in health care. Through our unique approach, extensive experience, top notch team, and encompassing list of services, the OMW Digital Health Department is equipped to help your company or practice navigate theses hurdles.
Our lawyers help clients convert complex health care policy into practical business strategies. We understand the goals of digital health regulation—reduced costs, improved population health, and higher quality of care across the continuum—and help companies navigate and shape policy by providing them a roadmap, as well as develop, implement, and manage initiatives that:
- Create value through the application of existing technologies and the development of new technologies or approaches to health care delivery.
- Align the goals and interests of product design, marketing, and leadership teams.
- Leverage technology to better engage consumers and deliver better care and health outcomes.
- Ensure compliance with health information privacy and data security requirements.
- Build coalitions and drive policy on challenging issues, such as mobile health tools and health information exchange.
To provide our clients with the best possible outcomes, we often take a multidisciplinary approach to complex problems, looking to our network of technical experts and advisors in related disciplines as necessary to help clients reach their goals. We work regularly with information security professionals, software engineers, data scientists, insurance brokers and technology specialists to bring clients comprehensive and sensible solutions.
The lawyers who make up our Digital Health Team work to empower leaders who are leading efforts to move from the digitization to the digital transformation of our health system.
The Digital Health Team serves as advisors to:
- Health care provider organizations seeking to develop, acquire and deploy health information technology and digital health solutions
- Entrepreneurs working to develop and scale technology that provide clinicians with powerful tools to not only treat but prevent disease.
- Research organizations working to unlock the power of health data to answer questions and save lives
- Clinically integrated networks striving to deliver on population health initiatives and implement systems necessary to thrive in a value-based payment environment.
- Developing regulatory strategies for innovative technologies, and assisting clients in executing those strategies to achieve regulatory and business goals
- Advising on privacy and security laws, and assisting clients with their security and risk analysis obligations under international, federal, and state laws and with data-breach response and mitigation
- Advising on licensure, credentialing and privileging, online prescribing, and corporate practice of medicine matters for telemedicine providers
- Providing guidance on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and innovative payment systems to drive technology adoption
- Counseling on compliance with the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and other federal and state fraud and abuse laws
- Drafting and reviewing contracts for digital health products and services
- Providing guidance on the formation, financing, and governance of digital health entities
- Providing digital health investors with venture capital and private equity transaction support
- Advising on strategic alliances and joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and divestitures
- Conducting health care regulatory due diligence in corporate transactions
Our attorneys are helping to lead the charge when it comes to accelerating technology developments, shifting market forces, and evolving federal and state regulatory requirements. We help clients understand the big picture, identify growth opportunities, and navigate risks before they become major business challenges. Our team members include:
Members of our team speak frequently at industry conferences sponsored by HIMSS, Mass Challenge, WSSHA, and other organizations.