Athan focuses his practice on all aspects of construction law. He advises public clients, including public hospital districts, on issues they face throughout the construction process: he prepares and reviews procurement documents, negotiates and drafts design and construction contracts, and represents clients throughout the dispute resolution process in both trial and appellate courts. In addition to standard design-bid-build procurements, he had assisted public clients on all three alternative procurement methods allowed in Washington: design-build, general contractor/construction manager (GC/CM), and job order contracting (JOC). Athan has been part of public owner teams that have successfully petitioned Washington’s Capital Projects Advisory Review Board to use alternative procurement methods, and is the co-author of the alternative procurement chapter in the Washington Construction Law Deskbook.
Athan has particular insight into the construction process, having spent several years working in the industry prior to attending law school. He also teaches Construction Law for the University of Washington’s Construction Management program and is a frequent speaker and author on a variety of construction law related topics. Athan has served on the Executive Committee of the Washington State Bar Association’s Construction Law Section since 2012, including serving as the Chair in 2017 through 2018.
- Washington State Bar Association: Construction Law Section Council, Chair
- King County Bar Association
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law
- B.S., University of Washington
- Speaker, “2020 Washington Legislative Update,” Washington State Bar Association Construction Law Section, June 2020
- Speaker, “2019 Washington Legislative Update,” Washington State Bar Association Construction Law Section, June 2019
- Speaker, “2019 Washington Legislative Update,” Washington State Bar Association Construction Law Section and Spokane County Bar Association CLE, March 2019
- Speaker, “Contractor Registration Issues, “Washington Statutes Affecting Construction, WSBA, June 9, 2017
- Speaker, “Contractor and Developer Licensing and Registration,” Two States of Construction Law: Working in Both Washington and Oregon, WSBA and OSB, November 6, 2016
- Recognized as a Washington “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014-2020
- Recognized as a Washington “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2006-2012
- Recipient of “Excellence in Teaching” Award, University of Washington Department of Construction Management, 2018