Lee is a member in the firm’s Business practice area, where she focuses her practice on healthcare, healthcare information technology, and general business and corporate matters. She enjoys working with her clients in a collaborative manner to understand their goals while striving to deliver quality and value for each client.
Lee’s healthcare practice focuses on:
- Hospital and physician contracting
- Fraud and abuse
- Privacy and security compliance
- Public hospital district issues
- Professional and facility licensing
- Medical staff issues
- Real estate
- Employment matters
- Board governance and compliance
- Acquisitions, affiliations and strategic partnerships
Lee’s health information technology experience includes:
- Negotiating contracts for electronic health records
- Software licensing
- Data breaches and incident response
- Data hosting services
- Health information exchange systems
In Lee’s general business practice, she assists clients in matters including mergers and acquisitions, corporate formation and governance, real estate transactions, technology licensing and contract negotiation.
Lee is a frequent speaker on the topics of data privacy and security, fraud and abuse matters, and board governance and compliance.
Lee, a Seattle native, received a B.A. in Philosophy from Stanford University. She received her law degree from Seattle University School of Law, where she served as Managing Editor of the Seattle University Law Review. During law school, Lee also served as an extern at the University of Washington Health Sciences Division of the Washington Attorney General’s Office. Prior to law school, Lee worked as a consultant working primarily with healthcare clients.
- Washington State Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Washington Health Care Risk Management Society
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law
- B.A., Stanford University, Philosophy
- Speaker, Board Compliance Education. Client Board retreat, March 2020.
- Co-Presenter, Risk Considerations for Boards from Insurance and Legal Perspectives. Washington State Hospital Association Governance Education Day, October 2019.
- Speaker, HIPAA Training for Hospital Clinic Staff. Client, July 2019.
- Co-Speaker, Healthcare Compliance: How Effective Is Your Compliance Program? Client Conference, June 2019.
- Speaker, HIPAA Audits and How To Be Prepared. Client Conference, October 2016.
- Co-Speaker, Managing Privacy & Security in a Small Town Setting. HFMA Spring Conference, May 2016.
- Co-Speaker, Telemedicine and Delegated Credentialing. Washington Association Medical Staff Services Annual Conference, May 2014.
- Co-Presenter, Top Five Compliance Issues Facing Healthcare. Washington Healthcare Risk Management Society, January 2014.
- Speaker, HIPAA HITECH Act. Multiple Clients, 2013.
Professional and Community Activities
- Washington State Bar Association - Health Law Section - Chair (2017-2018); Executive Committee Member (2014-present)
- Legal Voice - Nominating Committee (2017-present); Board of Directors (2008-2014)
- Washington Medical-Legal Partnership - Advisory Board Chair (2017-present); Advisory Board Member (2015-present)
Emergency Rulemaking Amends Single-Bed Certification RulesLee Wen Kuo09/29/2014Healthcare
Washington Supreme Court Bans “Psychiatric Boarding”Lee W. Kuo08/11/2014Healthcare
AMA Adopts Telemedicine GuidelinesLee W. Kuo06/26/2014Healthcare
Upcoming HIPAA Audits Will Include Business AssociatesLee Wen Kuo03/05/2014Healthcare
2013: A Critical Year for Medicare Incentive ProgramsLee W. Kuo04/15/2013Healthcare
Supervision Levels for Certain Hospital Outpatient Therapeutic ServicesLee W. Kuo10/19/2012Healthcare
Recent CMS Guidance Allows Non-Medical Staff Practitioners To Order Hospital Outpatient ServicesLee W. Kuo03/01/2012Healthcare
CMS Not Making Changes to Current EMTALA Policies or RegulationsLee W. Kuo02/10/2012Healthcare
CMS Releases Proposed Rules for Accountable Care OrganizationsLee W. Kuo02/08/2012Healthcare
ACO Fraud and Abuse Law WaiversLee W. Kuo02/08/2012Healthcare
Final Physician Supervision Rules for Hospital Outpatient Therapeutic and Diagnostic Services for CY 2010Lee W. Kuo12/02/2009Healthcare
Health Law Update – February 2009Lee W. Kuo02/18/2009Healthcare