Bruce McDermott is a Member of the firm’s Litigation Department. He began his legal career in Los Angeles, working in a broad range of commercial civil litigation, including trade secret, intellectual property, antitrust and other large-case litigation. After he returned home to Seattle to continue his practice, he remained busy in those areas until by chance he became involved in a high-profile estate litigation in a Washington State trial court. That case culminated in a successful 9 week trial, a direct appeal by the losing party to the Washington Supreme Court and a resultant favorable decision in which the Court re-affirmed established law on undue influence, and made new law on challenges to marriages in Washington State. Ever since then, Bruce’s practice has become increasingly focused broadly on trust and estate litigation, including guardianships and vulnerable adult actions–in Washington, Oregon and California. During his career, he has appeared in trial courts up and down the west coast, as well as many cases at the appellate level, including the Federal Circuit Court in Washington, D.C., the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, the Washington and California Courts of Appeals, and the Washington Supreme Court.
Prior to joining OMW, Bruce was a Principal at Foster Garvey PC. Prior to that, he was principal at Garvey Schubert Barer for over 25 years.
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School
- B.A., Amherst College
- Speaker, Estate Planning Seminar: Who Can Fill Your Shoes? Garvey Schubert Barer, 2010.
- Speaker, "The Art of the Deposition: How to Prepare Yourself When Your Estate Planning Documents are Being Challenged," Advising Estate Planning and Probate Clients, Washington State Bar Association, 2009.
- Speaker, Aging Well: Planning for Common Aging Issues. Garvey Schubert Barer, 2009.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association, Patent, Trademark and Copyright Section, Member.
- American Business Trial Lawyers Association, Member.
- Washington State Bar Association, Real Property and Estates Section, Member.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers for Commercial Litigation, 2010.