Don serves as Chair of the firm and Co-Chief Executive Officer with the Managing Member leading the firm’s strategic initiatives and priorities, along with mentoring the Executive Director. His professional practice focuses on healthcare, information technology and emerging businesses. His goals involve assisting clients to craft practical solutions in complex, heavily regulated industries; partnering with clients to advance them on their road to success.Don is a results-driven, compassionate executive and a servant leader with extensive experience in healthcare law, business law, and tax-exempt organizations; his leadership has proven success in transformational growth while building excellence and ongoing collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. His practice focus areas include joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, business organization and structures, entity formation and capitalization, regulatory compliance, clinically integrated networks/accountable care networks, tax-exempt organization issues, certificate of need, risk management, real property purchase and sales, and leasing. Don is a frequent speaker on current legal trends relating to the evolving health care ecosystem.
Don is a member of the Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys, American Health Law Association, and Washington State Bar Association (Health Law Section). He also serves on the Board of Directors for Provail ( https://provail.org ) and the Chief Seattle Council, BSA.
A Washington state native, Don graduated from Whitman College with a B.A. degree in Political Science. He received his J.D., magna cum laude, from Seattle University School of Law in Tacoma, where he served as Managing Editor of the Law Review. Don spent two years as Clerk to Justice Charles W. Johnson of the Washington State Supreme Court before joining the firm in 1997. Don enjoys spending time with his wife and two dogs, playing golf, collecting wine and traveling around the Northwest and beyond.
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- American Health Law Association
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law
- B.A., Whitman College
- Chief Seattle Council, BSA – Board of Directors
- PROVAIL – Board of Directors
- OMW Adds New Attorneys to Healthcare Practice Group Donald W. Black 01/14/2013 Healthcare
- HHS Announces New HIPAA Breach Settlement Donald W. Black 01/08/2013 Healthcare
- OIG Releases 2013 Work Plan – Important Topics for Both Hospitals and Physicians Donald W. Black 10/08/2012 Healthcare
- FACTA Red Flag Rules – Extension of November 1st Deadline Donald W. Black 11/04/2008 Healthcare
- US Sentencing Guidelines & Draft OIG Supplemental Compliance Program Guidelines Donald W. Black 12/10/2004 Healthcare
- Health Law Update — June 2004 Donald W. Black 06/24/2004 Healthcare
- Washington State Super Lawyers – 2004 to 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rating