Andy has extensive experience in almost all areas of commercial and civil litigation. Over time, his litigation practice has focused primarily on construction, real estate, business organizational disputes, and local government law. In addition to serving as trial counsel, he also advises and represents clients in arbitration and mediation.
With a strong engineering background, Andy understands the complex technical issues involved in construction and real estate matters. He uses this understanding in the course of representing and advancing the interests of owners, contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, and suppliers in all phases of the real estate development and construction processes, including negotiation, contract preparation, and dispute resolution.
Additionally, Andy has represented many local governments as general and special counsel. Among those clients are water/wastewater districts, port districts, and public utility districts. Andy has also served as Military Judge in 1979-1985 as well as adjunct professor at the University of Puget Sound, School of Business and Public Administration in 1979-1984. He served as Infantry Officer in U.S. Army in Vietnam, Germany, and South Carolina in 1967-1971.
Andy also serves as an arbitrator and mediator. See www.adrroundtable.com.
- King County Bar Association: President (2017-2018); 1st Vice President (2016-2017); 2nd Vice President (2015-2016); Chair, Public Policy Committee (2011-2014); Board of Trustees (2005-2008)
- Washington State Bar Association, Construction Law Section: Council Member (2001-2008); Chair (2007-2008)
- LL.M., University of Virginia
- J.D., University of South Carolina
- B.S., U.S. Military Academy
- City of Bainbridge Island: Utility Advisory Committee (2009-present); Chair (2014-2017); Open Space Commission Chair (2001-2007); Councilmember (1991-1999); Chair (1994-1996); Interim Mayor (1997)
- Bloedel Reserve: Board of Trustees Board Member (2007-present), Chair (2013-14)
- Bainbridge Island Park Foundation: Board of Trustees (2014-present)
- Kitsap Public Facilities District: Director (2000-2005)
- Kitsap County: Board of Freeholders (2001-2002)
- Home Rule for Bainbridge: Board of Directors (1988-1991)
- Washington State Local Governance Commission, Member 1985-1987
- Seattle Downtown YMCA: Board of Management (1987-1989)
- Recognized as a Washington "Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2001-2017, 2019-2020
- Selected as "Top 100 Attorneys" in Washington, 2010
- Named one of "Washington's Most Amazing Attorneys" in the field of construction law by Washington CEO Magazine, 2006
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer review as AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.*
- Attorney, U.S. Army Reserves, retired with rank of Colonel, 1978-1994