Julie Norton is a member in the firm’s Wenatchee office, where her practice emphasizes municipal law, employment law, healthcare law, land use and development (including real estate transactions), general civil litigation, and general business law.
Julie’s municipal law practice includes representation of numerous code cities, special purpose districts, and other governmental entities. Julie is skilled in drafting interlocal agreements, contracts, and ordinances/resolutions, ensuring compliance with governmental codes, rules, and regulations, including public bidding laws, and defending municipalities and public officers in litigation.
Julie’s employment and healthcare law practices focus on labor relations, personnel contracting and oversight, social media impacts, and employer compliance with state and federal rules and regulations, including, in particular the Family and Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Julie also provides representation for employers and practitioners in malpractice and wrongful termination lawsuits, and in labor related arbitration.
Julie has been a featured speaker at seminars and workshops sponsored by the Association of Washington Cities (regarding Public Records Act and Open Public Meeting Act Compliance), the Washington Cities Insurance Association (regarding police or law enforcement liability), and the Washington State Department of Community Development. Julie has also been a featured speaker for the Apple Valley Human Resources regarding general employment law updates and implementation and compliance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Julie’s professional memberships include the Washington State Bar Association, the Chelan-Douglas County Bar Association, and the Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys (WSAMA). She is also active in the Wenatchee community. She was recognized by the Wenatchee World as one of the top 30 professionals under 35 in the Wenatchee Valley, she has served as president of the Chelan-Douglas Young Lawyer’s Division, and is a member of the Apple Valley Red Cross Board of Directors.
Julie was born and raised in Boring, Oregon. She received her B.A. in Business Administration and Finance from the University of Washington. While in college, she was an active participant in the Husky Marching Band. Julie then earned her law degree, graduating cum laude, from the Seattle University School of Law.
- Washington State Bar Association
- Chelan-Douglas County Bar Association
- Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law, cum laude, 2006
- B.A., University of Washington, Business Administration and Finance, 2003
Professional and Community Activities
- Arena Youth Enrichment Fund Board, 2016
- Wenatchee Valley (Youth) Sports Foundation, 2015-present
- Apple Valley Red Cross Board of Directors, 2010-2015
- Chelan-Douglas Young Lawyers Division President, 2007-2008
- Wenatchee Business and Professional Women’s Society
- Wenatchee World “30 under 35,” 2012
- New FLSA Rule Increases Eligibility for Overtime Payments
- Piece Rate Employees Must Be Paid Separately for Breaks
- Affordable Care Act Overview
- Court of Appeals issues Decision in Kitsap County Prosecuting Attorneys Guild v. Kitsap County
- Making Ends Meet in Difficult Economic Times — Evaluate Utility Rates
- Clarification Regarding Privilege/Exemption Logs Under Public Records Act